Fairfields Primary School logo

Fairfields Primary School and Nursery

Rosedale Way, Cheshunt, Herts EN7 6JG Tel: 01992 633195 Fax: 01992 643701
Email: admin@fairfields.herts.sch.uk
Headteacher: Mr G Gaidoni
Location Map

Fairfields Primary School logo




Fairfields Primary School and Nursery
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Information Report – ‘School Offer’


  1. How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

The attainment and progress of all pupils is monitored frequently and consistently.  Children falling behind age appropriate expectations will usually be identified through pupil progress meetings during the year. Those children will be highlighted to all adults working with them and the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).  High quality teaching targeted at the areas of weakness will be put in place and the child’s progress monitored over time.  Parents will be informed of this at Parent consultations or earlier if necessary. If progress continues to be less than expected it may be necessary to put in place additional support and a thorough assessment of a child’s needs takes place.  This will be supported by the SENCO and includes views of the parents and child concerned.  If there is an indicator of a range of learning difficulties then the child will be recorded as having special educational needs (SEN).  Parents will be informed and involved throughout this process.  Parents who are concerned that their child may have SEN issues, should in the first instance talk to their child’s class teacher.


  1. How will school staff support my child?

If a child has been identified as making less than expected progress the first response is high quality teaching targeted at their areas of weakness.  If progress continues to be less than expected it may be necessary for the teacher to organise additional support or targeted intervention.  This support could be extra group or individual support led by a trained adult.  Different teaching resources may be used.  This will usually take place within the classroom as part of the lesson to maximize the impact. Interventions can range from a short daily session to longer less frequent sessions a week depending on the need of each child.  It is the teacher’s responsibility to provide for children with SEN in his/her class and to follow the school’s procedures for identifying, assessing and making provision to meet those needs.  Where the interventions involve teaching away from the main class the teacher still retains responsibility for the child and works closely with support staff to plan and assess the impact of the interventions and how they can be linked back to classroom teaching.  The SENCo provides advice, monitoring, and links with outside agencies.  There is a school governor for SEN who oversees the school’s work with SEN and ensures the quality of provision is regularly monitored.


  1. How will I know how my child is doing?

High expectations of each child in their class coupled with skilled differentiation usually ensures that children are making at least expected progress and frequently higher than expected progress.  However some children still require additional support in spite of this.  Where a child requires additional support parents are informed and targeted intervention is put in place. This support is monitored closely by both class teacher and SENCo and regularly modified. Most interventions take place over 1 or 2 terms and progress is reported back to parents at parent consultations or more regularly if needed.

The effectiveness of the school’s provision for children with SEND is evaluated, reported to governors and monitored by OFSTED.


  1. How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

A detailed assessment which draws on the teacher’s assessment and experience of the child, their previous progress and attainment, their development in comparison to their peers, the views and experiences of parents and the pupils’ own views takes place. This ensures that any barriers to learning are identified and effective provision suited to a child’s specific needs is implemented.  Children are consulted through the whole process and are key to decisions about what support is needed and will yield most impact.


  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?

The school has a consistent behaviour policy and an accessibility policy. The school adheres to the statutory guidance ’Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions’ and all medication is kept in a secure place and is only administered by designated people. Individual health care plans are written for children with medical conditions and shared with all staff that work with the child including lunch time staff. In certain cases, there is a designated school nurse who works together with parents and staff to meet a child’s health needs. In some instances this will require referring a child to access a specialist support service. There is an assigned Speech and Language Therapist that works very closely with the school.


6.   What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

Teaching staff, the SENCo and the Learning Support Assistants have undergone training in different areas of SEN to develop specialisms to ensure that there is a wide range of skills and expertise in all areas of SEN. Specialisms include behaviour support, Autism, Specific Learning Difficulties e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia, literacy and maths interventions, reading intervention, gross and fine motor skills difficulties e.g. dyspraxia, Speech and Language and signing. The school has a link Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapist, Counsellor and school nurse to whom they can directly refer to. The school nurse is then able to refer to different health services. The school can also access outreach services.

7.    What training have the staff, supporting children with SEND, had or are having?

All staff are trained in First Aid and Safeguarding. Early Years staff have been trained so that an accurate assessment of a child’s language needs is done on entry to school and appropriate provision implemented. Other staff have been trained in Speech and Language Support, Autism, dyslexia, dyscalculia, literacy and maths interventions, reading intervention, behaviour strategies, gross and fine motor skills difficulties e.g. dyspraxia, signing, communication in print. All support staff are trained to, or are working towards, NVQ level 3. Training is refreshed regularly and all opportunities for additional training are sought to ensure that staff have an up to date working knowledge of SEND issues and current legislation.


  1. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Parents’ Evenings are held in the autumn and spring terms to keep parents fully informed of their child’s progress and an annual report is written for each child in the summer term. Parents are involved when extra support has been put in place for their child and their views are sought at each opportunity to help support their child’s learning. Children are set homework regularly each week which will involve reading and at least one piece of literacy, maths or topic work so that parents are able to see what their children are able to achieve independently and support them with their learning if necessary.
Information leaflets are handed out each term so that parents are informed which topics will be covered and a meeting is held for all parents at the beginning of each academic year. In the Foundation Stage informative meetings for parents are held on all aspects of their child’s education and continue throughout the key stages with phonics training for parents in KS1 and esafety training for parents in KS2. The Family Support Worker has access to a wide range of support from local agencies and services and is able to signpost parents effectively.


  1. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

There are formal occasions such as Parents’ Evenings where parents are involved in discussions about their child’s education. However, we have an ‘open door’ policy where parents are able to speak to a teacher at an appropriate time, to pass on a message/ piece of information, or a meeting is planned where a longer discussion may be needed. Working parents are able to telephone to arrange for a teacher to call them back or email via the school office if there is a particular issue they wish to discuss. Parents are represented on the school governing body and there is also a very active PTA in school. Parents of children with SEN are regularly involved in discussions with their child’s class teacher and the school SENCo.


  1. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

For all school trips a risk assessment is undertaken to ensure that each child is kept safe from harm. All children with SEND are included on all school trips and when appropriate additional staff are deployed. Parents are consulted to ensure full participation and active engagement of all children. Where the outings are run by outside agencies they are made aware of each child’s needs so that they deal with them in a sensitive and appropriate manner.


  1. How accessible is the school environment?

The school is fully compliant with the Equality Act and reasonable adjustments are made for all children with SEND where necessary. The building is fully wheelchair accessible and has disabled changing and toilet facilities. Specialised equipment is provided where appropriate for children with SEN needs and advice is sought from the appropriate medical/health professionals to ensure all children’s health and physical needs are catered for within the school environment. The school has an accessibility policy. Click HERE to view.


  1. Who can I contact for further information?

The school has a SENCo who can be contacted by telephone or email and is available to meet with parents if you have any concerns about your child. You may feel it is more appropriate to speak to your child’s teacher with any initial queries.  If you wish to make a complaint, the school has a complaints procedure which is available from the school office.


  1. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

There is a detailed transition programme in place for children new to the school, moving to new classes or leaving the school.  Please refer to our school prospectus. The level of support offered is dependent on each child’s needs, age and development.  If you have any concerns that your child is worried about school induction or moving on, please contact the class teacher in the first instance.


  1. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The school has an amount identified within its overall budget called the notional SEN budget.  This is used for resources to support the progress of children with SEN. This is used to employ Learning Support Assistants to meet the needs of children with SEN, buy specialist equipment, books or stationery or provide specialised training for staff.  Where a child requires provision which exceeds the nationally prescribed threshold, additional top-up finding can be applied for through the local authority. (Exceptional Needs Funding).


  1. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

The amount and type of support offered to a child is determined by a detailed analysis of a child’s needs, barriers to learning, stage of development, parental views, their own views and consultation with their class teacher. This support is reviewed regularly with amendments being made to the programme of support. Interventions typically last between 1 and 2 terms with the emphasis being on early identification and targeted effective support to minimise any long term need for additional support.


  1. How can I find information about the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability?

The authority’s local offer of services and provision for children and young people with SEN can be accessed at www. hertsdirect.org/localoffer













Get Acrobat ReaderYou will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 or a higher version to open PDF files. If you don't already have Acrobat Reader you can download it free from Adobe's web site.